Wednesday 20 November 2013

The journey to the image.

Often, when I discover and explore an abandoned cottage or community, I get excited, engrossed, moved, scared even.

Before I even step inside a ruin, there is usually some reading days beforehand on the history of the area and /or the people who once lived there. Then there's the maps and route planning to be done, checking the weather and finding a free weekend to go.

The walk to the ruin can be the best and worst part of the day. Either way, it affects how I will make images that day.

Sometimes, but not often, I may have company. The conversations on the way may also alter my feelings and mood. I may be enjoying the company so much, the actual picture taking can get in the way!

The surrounding area of many of the ruins I go to is stunning in the right time of the year and weather. I can be so chilled and relaxed in my surroundings that, again, taking pictures can sometime seem like a 'business' part to the pleasure of the trip.

However, more often than not, it's when I get to the ruin and I'm inside taking it all in and finding the right feeling and mood within myself, that I finally make an image and I'm totally in a zone that compliments everything that has gone before. I get a sense of purpose. I try to give this abandoned place some oxygen to its dying embers. I try to almost transmit what I see in front of me to the previous occupants so they can once again be there.

When I return home from a successful exploration, I'm buzzing, I feel recharged and de-stressed. I was totally focused for a period of time and all worries and concerns disappeared for a moment.

When it comes to actually uploading the images, processing them and finally sharing them, I'm finding it more of a chore. Why? Well, to be honest, many images are just ignore or glanced at. I can totally understand this. Most people have no interest in seeing old, abandoned buildings. It bores them and when I upload image after image like the one above, they quickly pass by.

I am getting better at not getting disappointed and upset that my images are not hugely popular. Don't get me wrong, and don't think I'm looking for sympathy or faint praise (or whatever the phrase is), I appreciate the many people who have commented on my work, supported me, encouraged me and, to my surprise, bought my work and hung on their wall. No, what I'm beginning to think is, this slight disappoinment can, at times, put a wee cloud over an otherwise great experience.

So, what am I trying to say here? Well, I'm beginning to sense that the preparation and journey is as much about my creative process as making the image. Maybe one day I'll make a sketch, or record the sounds I hear or even try to write something to express how I feel, rather than, or as well as making images. I could even start drawing on the images.

I should remember that nothing can take away the memory of the day, the feelings I had and the fact that I combined my love of history, walking, Scotland and photography.

I'd love to hear if you have any thoughts on 'the journey to the image'.

8 comments:

Andrea Ingram said...

I think you make a fair point. The image is as much about the making of an image than the image itself. Perhaps more. I remember one day being ecstatic with a 35mm camera and the changing light before me up on the moor behind a beach here - then finding no film in the camera. However, no enjoyment was lost as never got to see that the images were not as good as what I'd seen with my own eyes.

James Dyas Davidson said...

That's a great way to explain the point I was making. It's the experience and the pleasure of just being in the moment.
Thanks for the comment.

Felix said...

I think the key thing here is that you know that the prep and the journey are as important as the end result. It's the whole deal. You bring so much of yourself to your images - both in the preparation and in the image making itself. You have a heart-felt reason for making these images and that comes across James. No, they may not be as popular as garish sunsets or long exposure waterfall shots or even naked women... BUT let those who feel the need to take those shots take them. You know better than that. You do your thing and that is what is important. Really.

James Dyas Davidson said...

Thanks Lucy, you are very kind and supportive as ever and I will always appreciate you for that.

As you know, I'm a north east Scotland lad and have the typical lack of confidence that goes with it. We are brought up to believe everyone else is better than us. Or that we should 'bide our station' - just remember where you came from and don't get ideas above your station.

It's hard to shake that off

I have a theory that all the Scottish people who had drive, ambition and that entrepreneurial spirit left Scotland and made the modern world. What was left was the 'I'm nae sure about that' gene pool!

As I get older, I see that none of it really matters so do your own thing.

Thanks again. I hope the exhibition is going well.

Jx

Deborah Parkin Photography said...

Have been meaning to comment on this for days, James - such an interesting blog & one that hit home for me. I have had a good year & one that I really shouldn't complain .. exhibitions, interviews etc. But the downside of all this is that I haven't had as much time to actually photograph & when I should be consumed by the passion for photography, I have often felt overwhelmed by the competitive nature of the photography world & sometimes sad & disillusioned. So, I have gone back to basics - I have never felt happier. I have stepped back in a lot of ways & started to think of it as a hobby almost .. it's my passion, but my life is full of other wonderful things - such as my family & a renewed love of horse riding & I have no doubt this will all feed into my work. I wouldn't worry about whether people comment etc - most of this is a game - if you are enjoying making the work, that is what it's all about. Keep on sharing though - it's nice to share - I like seeing your work & I like sharing mine - like a child bringing home a painting to show their parent .. but at the end of the day, we must always remember why we photographed in the first place & for me it was to offer myself a form of escapism, to be creative & to record the lives of my children - simple as...

James Dyas Davidson said...

Thanks Deborah for such an honest and encouraging comment.
Surely all the pleasurable things you did before you were 'discoverd' were the things that made you who you are and fed into your images in the first place and gained you all the deserved priase and attention? So, to abandon those other passions and commitments would perhaps have a negative impact on future work?

I keep telling myself just now, 'remember why you started doing this'.

I will keep sharing. :-)

Catherine said...

Hi James,
I've been looking at your wonderful photographs for a while now but feeling a bit shy about commenting. However, the doubt you expressed about sharing your work prompted me to comment. When I look at your photographs, they are so evocative. I can almost hear the voices of the people who lived there and almost feel their presence. You bring these places, and the people who lived there, to life for me. Please carry on sharing them. Thank you.
Catherine Slater.
PS Love the idea of drawing on the images.

James Dyas Davidson said...

Hi Catherine. Thanks for taking the time to leave such a lovely comment.
When I think about it, I often look at other's work, enjoy it, marvel at it but never leave a comment to say so. They too may feel a bit let down, ignored when in fact their work brings pleasure. It depends on the individual. Some really are not affected by the lack of a reaction to their work. Lucky them!

Thanks again. James.