Thursday 27 March 2014

Changing career and self help, c.1989.


During my twenties I worked as an electronic technician for Schlumberger in Aberdeen during the oil boom (and bust). I was based onshore but had many repair and maintenance trips to oil rigs. I didn't enjoy the job and i wasn't particularly good at it either. I needed a change of career.

As part of an Open University course to help me choose the right career path, I ended up reading some self help books. In a recent clear out of stuff, I found a note which, if I remember correctly was my attempt at summing up self help books. Here's what I wrote c.1989:


  • What's important to you? Define it clearly. Change.
  • Your goals? Clarify and attack them (!). Expect failures and disappointments but learn from them.
  • Be active. Work hard at everything BUT always towards your goals.
  • Be passionate, Desire something.
  • Role models - find them, study them.
  • Be good to yourself. Daily, do something you enjoy.
  • Everything in balance.
  • De-junk. Keep on of top things.
  • Break down tasks.
  • Increase skills.
  • Nurture relationships.
  • Be yourself - don't compare yourself to others.
  • Live in the present. Worrying will solve nothing and damage your health.
  • Listen to messages that fate can bring. (?)
  • Care more and be more affectionate. Empathise.
  • Write things down - keep a journal.
  • Keep the faith - remain hopeful.
  • Meditate
  • Exercise
  • Eat well.
  • Drink plenty water.
I eventually boiled down all self help books to the Nike slogan - 'Just do it!'

Those who know me can now have a laugh at the bullet points I have utterly failed to do!

:-)

Anyway, what's a blog post without a picture?







No comments: